So, in line with my New Year’s Resolutions, I’m planning my summer vacation for this year and need some help deciding my first destination.
There are 3 places on my travel destinations list and I’m going to list down the pros and cons for each to make it easier for all of us to decide (it has to be one of the three).
The US is a massive country with almost everything that a human being needs to see on a vacation. My friends in the US have been inviting me to visit since for ever (having friends in a place can be very motivating) but after Europe, I wasn’t particularly excited about more Western culture (goray log). Nevertheless, let’s be more objective and list down the pros and cons.
- Friends who can show me around
- LOTS of things to do
- A huge part of the world off the checklist
- Visa issues + some fear of racial discrimination
- Super expensive
- Culture is not that fascinating (thanks Americanization)
Another gigantic country with countless things to do. China has been a dream since I was a child and this year I feel I’m the closest I can be to visiting this wonderful country. But then I get anxious about how different China is going to be from Europe or South Asia and pause to reconsider.
- Lots and lots of rich, fascinating culture
- My soft spot for East Asians
- Positive relations with my passport
- Overly crowded
- Massive language barrier
It’s a shame we spent so much money on countries abroad and never considered visiting Pakistan. I’ve heard enough stories from people I know (and don’t know) about the northern areas to be sure that there is no obvious life risk involved. But then there’s also a lot of negative things you hear about on TV, so there is definitely some fear.
- No visa!! (music to my ears)
- Supporting/promoting local tourism
- Potential risk to life
- Lack of hotels/facilities
- Not a new country (technically doesn’t check my resolution off the list)
I am so confused about where I should go this year because of all the reasons mentioned above. The voices in my head have been saying all of this without order, but now it’s on paper (or online) so my thoughts are more organized.
But the question still remains; where do I go first?